permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Best Wishes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Best Wishes
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 20:01:30 -0400

On 9/22/2010 9:50 AM, Scott Pittman wrote:
I have always assumed that in
a permaculture list serve that we would always abide by the principals and
ethics of permaculture "people care".

As for the 3rd ethic, the following makes perfect sense to me
including recycling #3 back into #1 and #2.

http://www.permaculture.org/nm/images/uploads/PDC_cert_book_.pdf
Permaculture Ethics:
(1) “Care of the Earth” ― includes all living and non-living things,
such as animals, plants, land, water, and air.
(2) “Care of People” ― promotes self-reliance and community responsibility.
(3) “Give Away Surplus” ― pass on anything surplus to our needs
(labor, money, information) for the above aims.

<>

(3) is not conveniently open ended for interpretation however it suits anyone.
It is very specific otherwise people might not identify with it, as I do,
and practice it widely according to tradition. You can't force people to give
away their surplus, swap or barter it. You need to show them why it is worth
doing in the event they are not familiar with the concept or have never taken
it seriously. That is the way forward.

A friend nearby tells me about an increasing number of local programs and
projects
that address the need to share surplus farm products with the needy through
agencies
dedicated to collection and distribution. This is a great program, one I will
willingly participate in.