permaculture - Re: [permaculture] the limits of the conversation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: paul wheaton <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] the limits of the conversation
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 09:40:52 -0600

> This comment by Paul Wheaton leaves me totally flabbergasted; the only thing
> that I can assume is that his pc certificate was issued by someone who
> shouldn't be teaching permaculture.

Scott,

I never said what my position on the third ethic was.

As for being an instructor, I have never taught a full PDC: I've only
been a guest instructor. And I have no plans, at this time, to change
that.

I do not allow discussion of the third ethic on permies.com because it
leads to too much work for me. A small army of people want to say
that stealing from others and giving it away is justified in the third
ethic. I think that this really stains permaculture. I won't allow
it.

> How is it that you reserve the right to determine what to leave in or out of
> the design system called permaculture.

When you have 45 seconds to plant a seed of permaculture in somebody's
head, you're going to leave 99.99% out.

I have 3000 people coming to permies.com every day. Most of those
people have never heard of permaculture before. I do not want them
scared off by comments about how stealing is okay. Or debates about
what constitutes stealing.

I have a rich strategy here. I do not make these choices lightly.