permaculture - Re: [permaculture] the limits of the conversation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: paul wheaton <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] the limits of the conversation
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 16:51:49 -0600

> 2) Paul, it shouldn't be remotely controversial for me to note this: if your
> list of allowable topics doesn't
> include the 3rd Ethic, then the subject of your discussion is not
> Permaculture.

It might not be what you call permaculture, but it is DEFINITELY what
I call permaculture.

> Permaculture minus ethics equals gardening. Gardening sold as Permaculture
> equals bullshit.

Polyculture, hugelkultur, edge, swales .... these things are all
indicative, to me, of a permaculture system that is above and beyond
gardening.

Emphasis on "to me".

And my site is designed to be for those folks that either agree with
this, or are willing to have some conversations in this space within
my comfort zone. And I will call it permaculture. And, I think, most
of them will call it permaculture too.

I respect that there are many people that will demand that I live my
life according to their standards and their language. It is okay for
them to want that. But if they expect it, they will be sad.

I am open to respecting all permaculturists, whether they embrace the
third ethic or not.