permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Lakota wisdom, invisible structures

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Andrew McSwain <aeromax.way@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Lakota wisdom, invisible structures
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 11:23:52 +0430

Not much to say at this point. I just want to acknowledge that your words
have had power in me. Thanks much for sharing your insights. I hope that
others take this observation about the vital difference in communication
between our cultures to heart. I see a lot of buzzing bees and not a lot of
slow Lakota thinkers.

People often spend so little time thinking about what they have read or
listened to, and not much more considering deeply the impacts of what they
are saying. They think about your words based on impulse, assume the first
conclusions that come to mind, and then speak on impulse, ignoring little
the impacts of this kind of recklessness.

Many new ideas, radical ideas, are often ignored in the heat of a
discussion. For example during the talk about the national guard, and the
politics and potential weaponization of permaculture, It seemed as though
few were truly interested in coming to build a better understanding. It was
more about protecting personal intellectual territory. In such a defensive
mode, personal attacks and phrases that incite aggression take precedence
over all others. They drown out most of the fewer and more quiet-spirited
postitive and creative voices in the room. In short, we are stunting our
growth with this kind of excessive chattery dialouge. Not just in our
arguments, but in all of our discourse. Certainly it has it's place, but if
we can't also learn to listen as Cory teaches us that the Lakota do, then we
are stunting the growth of our capacity to co-create.

A lot of subte changes occur in the individual and group mind when each of
us (or even more than two or three) decide to change the rhythm with which
with we think and respond to others. These changes combine and culminate
into the strong difference in the way the Lakota and the European groups see
the world. If we want to be more Native American and less European in our
approach to life and society then we would do good to learn that their
harmonious relationship with nature is perhaps predicated on the way that
they relate to one another through language and ideas.

We have much to learn from the Lakota. At the heart of the spiritual power
of their ceremonies and the clear understanding of things that we see
through their thinkers and prophets is the heart-speech circles and the
utterly profound and holistic way in which people recognize one another
throughout the process.
We could learn much from them.

Thanks much for bringing this into the discussion, Cory.