permaculture - [permaculture] hands up who has relatives actually serving in a military role in Afghanistan ?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Nicholas Roberts, Permaculture.coop" <permaculturecoop@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] hands up who has relatives actually serving in a military role in Afghanistan ?
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 22:35:10 -0700

my grandfather is the oldest veteran alive in his home town, and I have a
cousin serving with the military, full-time, combat role in Afghanistan now

on ANZAC day, the Australian equivalent of kind of like 4th of July and
veterans day all in one, the old man gets a phone call from his great nephew
in Afpak

the old man has the courage to tell the young warrior, he supports him as a
person, but thinks what he is doing in Afghanistan is wrong, he doesn't
support the war

the Taliban are a product of great game geopolitics generated by Pakistan,
Saudi Arabia, US, UK and Russia... the USA as hegemon is the main player (by
definition)

the biggest business in Afghanistan now is heroin, most of the worlds now
comes from there... and oil and gas reserves (and other minerals) are online
for exploitation

apparently there where better conditions in Afghanistan under the Russians
(for normal, non drug dealing peasants that is) i.e. woman and children

which makes you wonder what kind of crazy world we live

permaculture that