permaculture - Re: [permaculture] waterboxx

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: loren luyendyk <loren@sborganics.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] waterboxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 20:14:05 +0000

Marjory and Lawrence-

I looked into this technology and was impressed with the concept, but
disappointed at the cost of the unit ($27.50 each for a minimum of 10, down
to $8.50 if you can afford $62,000 for 7200 units). If people can't afford
to plant trees how will they afford this? It seems like a rich man's scheme
to get funding for his product though the guise of humanitarian work. I do
agree that this is a great idea and replicable with the real world in mind.

I think your idea for using old tires and soda bottles is great, Lawrence. A
design that uses waste products from local areas is always preferrable to
manufactured gizmos. I was thinking of a design using corrugated tin roofing
with
lots of nails like spines as condensers, or better yet steel tubes (maybe not
so readily
available). The donut shape is good, though it could be any shape as
long as the condensation is directed to the root zone.

Surface area is an important part of the design. If you look
at the Waterboxx, it has ridges like a thistle leaf. Metal would be
the best material, as it tends to cool more and keep that temp longer
than plastic. Stones also work well, especially angular ones used as a
mulch or stacked high to the windward side of a tree seedling. Fog
screens made of shade fabric will also trap moisture in windy areas,
and serve as little micro-shelters for the plants.

The concept is atmospheric moisture harvesting, which may be accomplished
through many techniques. The temperature differential between a material and
the air causes condensation, which then is trapped and fed to a waiting plant
or storage. Milk thistles have evolved to do this wonderfully, along with
1000's if other dry coastal species. Recognizing this pattern, we can plant
nurse species that will condense dew, like Casaurina and Acacia (small or
needle like leaves= lots of surface area) . Using nature's own design will
be the best long-term solution.

Still, I would take some Waterboxxes if he was giving them away!
Loren Luyendyk
(805) 452-8249
www.sborganics.com
www.surferswithoutborders.org