permaculture - Re: [permaculture] movement vs design method

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Tripp Tibbetts <slowfoodguy@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] movement vs design method
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 10:39:22 -0700 (PDT)

Interesting that you mention Guns, Germs, and Steel, as I just finished
reading it last week, and not 5 minutes ago was plugging it on another
listserv that I follow!  Excellent and deeply insightful, the kind of title
that should be on every permie's to-read list.

The nodal/nuclear "approach" that you mention seems to be happening just as
smoothly and organically as predicted in this post.  Everywhere I've been
there is always a city or region that is "where the permaculture is really
happening."  I don't want to take away from Udan Farm, Salamander Springs,
Gaia, or Davis Farm in middle Georgia, but the mountains in the north are
where it is swelling here.  Atlanta too, but then, both places are generally
inhabited by the same people depending on the day of the week.  So north
Georgia anway.  And the North Georgia Organic Corridor is in the process of
forming, promising organic produce at farmers' markets at least every 30
miles, and I can see permaculture already piggy-backing on this artery.  Of
course, at finer resolution, this "node" is itself a fractal net, with many
opportunities to bring permaculture to the various communities comprising the
larger node.

With any luck our time in sweltering and uber-conservative Macon will be
brief, and we'll be on our way to help push this expanding nucleus outward.
I love the image of nodes (of permaculture) swelling to connect and form a
net.  Thank you for bringing that pattern to my attention initially, Rosemary
Morrow.

In the past, less competitive cultures were "replaced" by more "successful"
ones, according to the population dynamics of their age.  In the future (now)
success, in all its manifestations, will depend on solutions that dwell in
the reality of physics, and permaculture does indeed excel at that.

I appreciate this post, Rain.  Thanks.
Tripp

-Chinese proverb