permaculture - Re: [permaculture] strategy for dealing with plagiarism

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: negiliblek <negiliblek@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] strategy for dealing with plagiarism
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 08:31:35 -0700 (PDT)

Paul,

Since you're other profession is Information Technology, I suspect you're
familiar with how the Open Source world works.

You could approach it from the point of view that you're glad they are using
your information because it's open sourced (assuming you want to open source
it), however, did they know, that for the open source world to be successful,
credit must be given to the originators.

This way, you encourage the spread of good information, and the modifying of
an idea with a pointer back to the original idea.

Your reputation grows and so does theirs IF their idea based on your original
idea innately holds merit (as borne out by the "users" of that idea).

This is competition which is based on cooperation rather than domination in
which ideas win and not individuals, where individuals stock and value is
their ability to create and modify, not how many patents they can repress an
idea's progress with.

You could put GPL tags (or some other variant) and/or a short statement like:

"If you credit me with a link to the original web page on my site, feel free
to reuse information from my website. Otherwise, you may not reuse or
re-distribute information from my site."

The Open Source world polices itself by both positive and negative feed back
to the successful, the unsuccessful and the leeches. So, until people
understand the concept of giving credit in as done in the Open Source world,
you'll have to deal with some negativity.

If you haven't already read this (or know it's concepts), here's an article
from Damn Small Linux (if you've the time to read it all the way through, you
find mention of plagiarism in it):

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/income-guide/intro.html

I like what you've done in such a short time Paul, I wish you the best
whatever you choose (and I really hope you choose the open source path).

>From wheaton.p@gmail.com Mon Aug 23 11:53:52 2010
:in-reply-to:references:date:x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject
:from:to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding;
bh=QX9n0MBK+e9GEUMnGwLiP9C9z6tEehbYcprjpv8ESGo=;
b=dgAjDXtmcGnEYCmXgqr7AHOIxZHMdQDr4NEFSRYIpz3TDQf8wqVg6zS5MI6MwVwEbl
OGfASdmXDjOEE7UNjuLJWnpGCewMBzZqC1VXe8fs4SCFXChv0FpVXos1FnVr7wjUMvzN
o623gjSZLKN+oFCeNrddbltV4v/jLZOS3VKa8DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1;
c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma;
h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:date
:x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type
:content-transfer-encoding;
b=QF3lZtLTLDSSPO68FxlK8MMKwSIBPSkgZKvs7bU1muOLkxYf0+A7L7zYyPubD2Ta1i
0O4hNBKegABlXDCt5cvEM8YdCLfzKiEi3+g8YHLjNiBMvzhbqlnifxzXRwqZjVSA+n3o
mvQmI9MM2Gr8lByqLPDwwC8lfRpxmtE5p920UMIME-Version: 1.0