permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Movement thinking (was Designing a Movement)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Movement thinking (was Designing a Movement)
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 03:19:41 -0400

On 8/20/2010 1:57 AM, Patrick wrote:
Laurence said-As opposed to the old age hippy trippy (naturally,
preferably) back to the land eco-ag-permacultural homestead types?
You know, all those tens of thousands who did this and constituted
the foundation of the homesteading, natural agriculture and
permaculture revolution and movement giving us most of what we have
and enjoy today. Maybe the new age types will consult with the old
guard and experience an epiphany, new vigor and greater enthusiasm.

Pardon me you old crank,

[sirens wailing to the point of bearing failure]
Uh oh! ***Ad Hominem Attack ALERT!!!***
Call the Thought Police and the Speech Regulatory Agency!
and the Politically Correct Advisory Board as well!

Yes, I knew you weren't a humorless jerk...

> I'm referring a totally different stripe of
folks than you're rambling on about.

I knew exactly what you were talking about:
"the new age hippy dippy types that tend to become involved in permaculture"
That's pretty obvious.

> I get cynical being in Berkeley.
It's full of cults of every sort. Some of them push permaculture.

You probably wouldn't be living there if you didn't like that environment. For me, it would be a breath of fresh air.

The 70's homesteading self publishing is near and dear to me, stuff
like Lloyd Khan, the New Alchemists, the Whole Earth Catalog,
Christopher Alexander& the Foxfire series. I am somewhat familiar
with the giants who's shoulders we stand upon.

That's the wonderful stuff; everything I do revolves around that era,
and the mindset and trends originated back then, add Amish/Mennonite/Shaker lifestyle.

> My partner's parents
lived that lifestyle, they still do to a certain extent but their
once voluntary poverty is no longer optional.

Goes with the territory. I hope they are doing well. I sure would like to get linked up with people like them.