permaculture - Re: [permaculture] more ranting

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] more ranting
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 16:15:00 -0700 (PDT)

Patrick,

I hear you, thoughtful response. Though we can't depend on corporate CEOs and
gov't hacks "getting it" I feel we can't afford not to try to reach them. The
water scene in LA is a good case in point. I found that some of the city and
state officials were quite hyper aware we need to change our water policies,
because they've been briefed by scientists on just how dire the situation is,
and they are genuinely scared. One energy official from the State of Calif
explained the grim situation surrounding energy use and its impact on the
environment and told people at a "Green building conference" that either we
change how we use energy, or the State of California will make us.
Immediately a couple people stood up and began to protest about their right
to use as much energy as they wanted. At a Green Building Conference! So in
that case, the gov't was much more conscious than the "greenies" attending
the conference.

Some of these guys are really alarmed about the situation - they know the big
picture, they know how intensely vulnerable the water supply to 17 million
people in the LA basin is, etc. They also know how much water we waste in the
stupid canals that run our huge watershed supply straight out to the ocean
instead of sinking into the aquifer which it used to do. They are struggling
with the ignorance of the population, finance, political corruption, and
other factors that prevent them from moving faster.

There is obviously a difference between an invaded and occupied country, like
Iraq, and Haiti, where the army went for "rescue" efforts. They aren't in
Haiti to shoot people and they aren't under attack. We've created quite a
mess in both Afghanistan and Iraq. Yet, I would absolutely teach National
Guardsmen going to Afghanistan permaculture if I had a chance. They will come
back to the states, their term will be over, they may actually be put on
rebuilding type duties there where they might do some good, which could
alleviate some of the horrible stuff happening over there. And if even one of
them truly gets it, he could be the "man who wouldn't eat soup" and create
enough paradigm shift in his division that the "bad guys" would not be nearly
as effective. I am definitely an optimist when it comes to the power of
paradigm shifting realities.

Yes, corporations will try to fit permaculture into their self-interested
framework but it doesn't fit, and it will create "edge" and opportunity for
pioneer ideas to creep in and gain foothold. I agree we need to make
cooperative business, local economies, etc, a centerpiece of permaculture to
counteract the monolithic tendencies of these beasts.

I do not believe that assisting high poverty areas makes things worse. That
hasn't been my personal observation at all. I do think that handouts without
long term solutions are very harmful. But I question whether kind slave
owners were the reason slavery persisted. It is still going on, as bad as in
the 1800's, all over the world, but more covertly. I feel that slavery is
some kind of deep seated human aberration that will take a lot of work and
healing to solve (I say this as a former human rights activist who worked on
human trafficking issues).

Cory