permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Cleaning/Containing Mercury

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Thomas Naisbitt <johntnaisbitt@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Cleaning/Containing Mercury
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 09:06:38 -0600

Cuauhtemoc,

I would recommend you contact Paul Stammets at www.fungiperfecti.com after
"brisking" through the info within "Mycoremediation, Fungal Bioremediation",
Harbhajan Singh, 2006, it appears that there is at least one white rot
fungi, Phanerochaete chrysosporium, which bio absorbs heavy metals including
Mercury. Paul has pioneered some techniques in mycoremediation in the state
of Washington and may be of some help if this is a direction which you wish
to pursue.

There are other methods used in artificial wetlands systems utilizing
aquatic plants as bioacumulators. As far as final containment of the Mercury
bearing waste product, I draw a blank...... but compost is out of the
picture.

Good Luck,

John