permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Cleaning/Containing Mercury

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Cleaning/Containing Mercury
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 09:26:29 -0700 (PDT)

Per the microbiologist I discussed this with, microbes interact/bind with
mercury to make it inert, meaning it cannot absorb into living tissue. Fungi
can absorb it and then be removed and stored as toxic waste - there may be
some fungi that make it inert as well? Microbes will work in soils and in
water, both. This tribe is using these microbes as an economic engine and
this is one reason I recommend their use as it contributes to the tribe
economically as well as environmentally.

Cory