permaculture - [permaculture] Volunteer opportunities sought by young friend

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lee Flier <leeflier@comcast.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Volunteer opportunities sought by young friend
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 09:56:39 -0400

Hi all,

I have a young friend (25 I believe) in Finland who is, let's say, in need of some direction. He's an extremely bright guy, and very thoughtful and caring, could no doubt learn anything quickly if he set his mind to it. But, he doesn't really know what to do with his life and he's somewhat floundering, and I suggested doing some volunteer work for a year or two. He is very open to that idea and in fact looked into it awhile back, but he only found organizations where volunteers have to pay a considerable amount out of their own pocket.

Does anyone know a reputable volunteer organization who might be able to help him pay his way to the country where he's working, and/or do a work trade arrangement? He is willing to go pretty much anywhere and is open to helping poverty, the environment, or just about any area where he can do good. He is a musician and audio engineer and could do field recordings, and although he's Finnish he speaks and writes English perfectly, and could teach English easily. I'm sure that he could learn any sort of work that was required of him, but he just kinda needs a push to get him going and it would be a win-win, I'm sure.

If anybody has any suggestions, please contact me off list. Thanks,
Lee

  • [permaculture] Volunteer opportunities sought by young friend, Lee Flier, 06/11/2010