permaculture - [permaculture] climate change possibly irreversible

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] climate change possibly irreversible
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 12:26:34 -0700 (PDT)

I really appreciate all the efforts that are being made to find ways to
sequester carbon (Darren Doherty's posts are always inspiring), and these
efforts make sense on a lot of levels, but I just want to put a reminder out
there that we need to pay attention to the latest science and not get overly
optimistic.  While they are still duking it out, this NOAA report from over a
year ago denies the possibility of reversing climate change within any
reasonable time frame:

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2009/20090126_climate.html

A new scientific study led by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration reaches a powerful conclusion about the climate change caused
by future increases of carbon dioxide: to a large extent, there’s no going
back.
The pioneering study, led by NOAA senior scientist Susan Solomon, shows how
changes in surface temperature, rainfall, and sea level are largely
irreversible for more than 1,000 years after carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions
are completely stopped. The findings appear during the week of January 26 in
the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Geoengineering to remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere was not
considered in the study. “Ideas about taking the carbon dioxide away after
the world puts it in have been proposed, but right now those are very
speculative,” said Solomon.