permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fwd: energy appeal for Haiti

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fwd: energy appeal for Haiti
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 12:31:21 -0500

Keith D Johnson wrote:
Angela, Just wanted to point out that the exposure of so many email
addresses is considered very poor "netiquette" inviting more spam and
potential identity theft. Plus its just more unnecessary bandwidth.
Please shift your practices ESPECIALLY in a public arena like this. Lawrence, I think we should adjust the limits to this in the admin
sections of the list and hopefully prevent (or reduce) the number of
emails that come through like this. K

Very true. I had to manually approve that message even though I had set the: "Ceiling on acceptable number of recipients for a posting.
(Details for max_num_recipients)" to 20.

Achtung!
--------
I have reset it to 3 so one can send to the pc list and forward 2 copies elsewhere and it automatically protects email privacy by simply limiting the number of recipients. If a poster includes more than 3 recipients of a given post then I have to approve it for it to be submitted to the list and I do not have to time to keep doing that over and over.

I think it makes good sense to establish policy allowing no more than
3 recipients for a post destined for the list.

What Angela did was send her message to about 60 people at one time and they were all copied, i.e. Cc'ed not Bcc'ed (blind carbon copied)
which would not have revealed the email ids of all the recipients.

So the limits now are three and be sure to Bcc other recipients to protect their email privacy.

LL
pc list owner