permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture wikis & making a major impact

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Chris Watkins <chriswaterguy@appropedia.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture wikis & making a major impact
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 16:09:37 +1100

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 18:03, Lawrence F. London, Jr. <
venaurafarm@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Probably best to link to my own marketfarming wiki for the bulk of what
> I have to offer rather than my duplicating that work at appropedia.

There's no problem with duplicating, as any information at Appropedia.org
can and will be modified and integrated with other knowledge. You may be
interested to watch additions and changes made to it.

I couldn't find your marketfarming wiki- is that the one you plan to set up?
Do you intend to use the same license (CC-BY-SA) as permaculture.info and
Appropedia.org? (This assumes you have the copyright for the info you're
seeding it with, or the copyright holders have given permission to share it
under CC-BY-SA.)

> have a marketfarming list and see the need for all to have access to an
> encyclopedic resource on the topic, gleaning the best knowledge from
> list content, providing answers to most often asked questions, Q&A,
> FAQs, etc. One cool thing I have toyed with for years is creating mini
> forum archives on special topics, i.e. soil quality, soil
> microorganisms, compost tea, remineralization, etc. I create these using
> Thunderbird email folders which are also Unix mail files, convertible to
> sortable forum archives for web access using Hypermail or Mhonarc. That
> is a handy tool and I have gotten good feedback that it is useful.
>
> In reality appropedia contains many important subject areas and a well
> defined mission. Many of those subjects are best covered at a
> multiplicity of other wikis (& blogs) rather than trying to have
> everything important about those subjects exist exclusively at
> appropedia.

The idea of Appropedia is a comprehensive structured knowledge resource on
sustainable practices and technologies of all kinds. This is where a wiki
really shines. It's not exclusive though - there's no intention to stop
other people blogging for example, but as Rich said, wikis "work best when
people come to work together, rather than everyone going off to do their own
thing in their own way."

I would be interested in filling out your agriculture areas
> with external links to valuable resources all over the web and at my own
> site as well as adding unique information there.

Please do! One of the very valuable things a wiki can provide is a list of
the best resources on a given topic.

> I noticed you are in Australia, a place I would like to visit if I
> could. Some of my earliest agriculture contacts were FidoNet BBS users
> and sysops from there, later the Internet..One very interesting fellow
> was involved with subsurface irrigation systems for broadacre farming,
> a system that added nutrients using a unique and proprietary process.
> He mailed me a big package of brochures and technical information on his
> company's product; I still have it.

If there are people you think I should meet, please email me off list and
let me know their details. I'm in Sydney and traveling north as far as
Brisbane over the next few months. Always interested in meeting permaculture
& green people, and tech people, especially those with a strong interest in
knowledge sharing. I'm also interested in "couchsurfing" opportunities (very
valuable to help me keep doing my bit on the project).

Thanks,
Chris

--
Chris Watkins

Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.

blogs.appropedia.org
identi.ca/appropedia
twitter.com/appropedia