permaculture - Re: [permaculture] if there were a benefit to deforestation...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] if there were a benefit to deforestation...
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 21:59:03 -0500

Tripp Tibbetts wrote:
Lawrence, you are familiar with the terra preta in the Amazon, right? Have
you read Toby's article on indigenous agroforestry:

Yes, I am familiar with it but have not done much reading about it. So, what is the essence of their farming system, what made it so sustainable? I hear about this incredible depth of tilth, storage of carbon and nutrients, to a depth of 6 feet or so. Is that very soil still fertile and able to be efficiently cropped; has anyone tried that?

http://patternliteracy.com/beyondwilderness.html