permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Convert landfills to compost!]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Tripp Tibbetts <slowfoodguy@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Convert landfills to compost!]
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 16:35:18 -0800 (PST)

Lawrence London wrote:

>"In some cases it is corporations dominated and run by mbas and lawyers
while ceo's and favored underlings languish in posh resorts as the work
of the original owners, the corporate founders, is run into the ground
through mismanagement then bankruptcy while employees are cut adrift to
fend for themselves. When you look at that mindset in the context of
trying to organize and preserve grassroots local-oriented farming,
environmental stewardship and the dissemination and use of permaculture
in the USA it should give new incentive to all of us interested in
making this happen no matter how long it takes."

Does anything about this scenario sound sustainable to anyone?  No more
sustainable than infinite growth on a finite planet.  I've noticed that the
more I pay attention to nature, and the less I listen to the buffoons, the
more I realize that the planet is already beginning to recover.  A new
breeding pair of northern flickers moved into my 'hood this fall, to join the
kestrel that arrived mid-summer.  That kestrel lives almost exclusively on
the flock of sparrows that dog my chicken feed.  So right in the middle of
all the ignorance and self-important greed, now my little urban garden has
its own kestrel.

Since humans are part and parcel of Nature, there's a damn good chance that
our recovery will go the same direction.  Everywhere I look I see new
gardens, new urban chickens, more people walking, biking, and talking on the
streets.  My front yard garden draws neighbors like a honey pot draws flies,
and they tell me they feel safer with me on the look-out.

Geoff Lawton says you can solve all the world's problems in a garden.  I'm
starting at least 3 new ones with friends this spring, and they have no idea
how dangerous self-reliance can be.  Dangerous to the corporations that is...

Tripp out.

-Chinese proverb

Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 20:20:33 -0500
From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>

Tripp Tibbetts wrote:

>I've noticed that the more I pay attention to nature, and the less I listen
>to the
>buffoons, the more I realize that the planet is already beginning to
>recover. A new breeding pair of northern flickers moved into my 'hood
>this fall, to join the kestrel that arrived mid-summer. That kestrel
>lives almost exclusively on the flock of sparrows that dog my chicken
>feed. So right in the middle of all the ignorance and self-important
>greed, now my little urban garden has its own kestrel.

I have always been impressed with the need to leave a certain amount of
your property absolutely undisturbed. Then in the portion you're active
in you are pleasantly suprised with all sorts of wild visitors. Here
there plenty of hawks, the local small and large varieties and at least
three types of owls, barn swallows, whipporwills, some bird that makes a
sound like a swooning lady that lives only in the wooded areas nearby,
another that makes a musical clucking sound possibly a snipe or a bird
in the coocoo family, plenty of crows who often harass the hawks
guarding their nests with young, blue herons, geese, vultures, quail,
mourning doves, wonderful songbirds, indigo buntings, bluebirds,
finches, woodpeckers, wrens and sparrows, bluejays, robins (very early
spring/late winter) and cardinals. I also have foxes, opossums, gophers,
deer, interesting field mice that look like kangaroo mice, racoons,
black snakes, garden snakes and copperhead snakes and black widow
spiders to keep me totally awake and keenly vigilant night and day (they
give me the willys).

>Since humans are part and parcel of Nature, there's a damn good
>chance
>that our recovery will go the same direction. Everywhere I look I see
>new gardens, new urban chickens, more people walking, biking, and
>talking on the streets. My front yard garden draws neighbors like a
>honey pot draws flies, and they tell me they feel safer with me on the
>look-out.

\\\|///
///|\\\

I think you're right, its happening; all we need to do is nourish the
trend, as you are already doing.

LL