permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Convert landfills to compost!]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Tripp Tibbetts <slowfoodguy@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Convert landfills to compost!]
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 12:54:47 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for that, Lawrence.  We all fell asleep early last night listening to
the sounds of home.  Set me at peace.

Tripp

-Chinese proverb

--- On Thu, 12/24/09, Lawrence F. London, Jr. <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>

From: Lawrence F. London, Jr. <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
Date: Thursday, December 24, 2009, 2:55 AM

Tripp Tibbetts wrote:
> Sounds like quite a menagerie!
>
> I miss the cardinals.
>
> Keep nourishing, Lawrence!

More every year. I have not heard the whipporwills
for a long time, nor the bobwhites (same as doves?),
less owls, less doves. Probably development, deforestration,
pesticides, gmo's, offroading morons etc., less natural wegetation
and weed diversity, less wildlife food is probably a big factor,
emerging dominance of certain invasive species or lopsided balance of
existing ones as the more fragile may have lost food source, habitat.
Atmospheric pollution and drought may also be a factor to consider.

I catch nearly all the water that falls on my property that doesn't stay
in the gardens or fallow fields in three small ponds strategically
located. The water is nutrient rich and grows cattails, duckweed and
shoreline annual and perennial weeds, some pollen sources. There is a
weed cover that returns each year surrounding the ponds. I have a frog
population you would not believe, at least four types and toads.
You can hear them in these recordings made at night, insects also,
crickets and cicadas:
Index of /ecolandtech/venaurafarm/frogs-in-ponds
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/venaurafarm/frogs-in-ponds/FrogsCricketsCicadas-NearPond&Forest.WMA

http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/venaurafarm/frogs-in-ponds/northeast-pond-6-30-2008.WMA

http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/venaurafarm/frogs-in-ponds/west-pond1-7-1-2008.WMA

http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/venaurafarm/frogs-in-ponds/west-pond2-7-1-2008.WMA

Dragonflies, aquatic insects, beneficial insects (ladybugs and praying
mantis) and a horde of all colors, shapes and sizes of alternative
pollinators. I have recorded some of their sounds in summer.

The recordings were made with a little inexpensive hand held Olympus
solid state digital with stereo microphone.

Here's a pic of duckweed in a small pool growing with other aquatic plants:
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/venaurafarm/duckweed3.jpg
And the rock dust I used to remineralize my gardens:
You can see it in a pile and on rows to be turned into raised beds
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/venaurafarm/IG5W0261.JPG
And a close up of the volcanic tuff rock dust, the finest grit of any I
have used:
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/venaurafarm/IG5W0280.JPG