permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Convert landfills to compost!]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Convert landfills to compost!]
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 18:44:37 -0500

Margaret Eisenhauer wrote:

This culture of waste amounts to Trash Culture! Trash culture causes us to
become trash makers as everything we touch is turned into trash. In trash
culture all our energy goes into making trash as all our outputs are termed
"Waste" with the intent that this energy will disappear once we have thrown
it out. Obviously this culture is not based in reality because energy can
not be created or destroyed and our outputs are intended to be the manna for
some other creature's existence, yet Trash Culture marches on making endless
piles, heaps and streams of trash, even making trash out of people it
doesn't understand or like while considering itself the pinnacle of
desirability.

Practically speaking if woody bio material is burned to char for energy to
heat water, homes and farmsteads with the resulting char used as a soil
amendment it would allow for the sequestering of carbon, the enrichment of
farmland and the utilization of needed energy while many of the offending
angels associated with Mr. & Mrs. Trash maker would be ameliorated by the
heat of gasification. (This is speculation which would require testing) Yes
not all toxic material could be utilized - such as metals contamination -
requiring vigilance and this would not solve the cultural divide between
reality and illusion but perhaps a good direction for experimentation.

Here's the latest comment in this thread at its site of origin
which I thought was pretty good:

"We've come a long way from the days when JI Rodale was considered a nut case, Louis Bromfield was taking on the agricultural establishment and Beltsville proved that organic gardening didn't work.

Can we, as individuals, save the world? Probably not. We can save our part. It's amazing how the old Yankee dictum of "Use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without," fits the goals of most of us here.

Meanwhile, if we fail to recognize why corporations don't do things, we can't change it so that they will."

As for this part:
""We've come a long way from the days when JI Rodale was considered a nut case, Louis Bromfield was taking on the agricultural establishment and Beltsville proved that organic gardening didn't work."

They're still at it, trying to undo the cultural renaissance of the 60's and 70's, discredit the people who made the best of that era happen,
steal their work (organic) for corporate ownership to the exclusion of those who put in the hours and investment in the farms where it all developed. Untold millions spent on discrediting and otherwise countering the organic/sustainable movement (unless they can own it),
propaganda mills that would have made Goebbels, Stalin and Mao faint.
Corporate power and economic leverage (who pays for research at land grant universities?) swallowing up competition and discrediting and crippling the rest, using surrogates to do the rest and pave the way forward to control of food production by vertically integrated multinational conventional biotech agribusiness. Read Joe Cummins if you don't believe that GMO's are bad for your health, that herbicides like
all strengths of SquareDown are persistent in the environment, degrading ecosystems and reducing biological diversity, add atrazine, chlorpyrifos, 24d, fungicides and insecticides and add all the moron homeowners obsessed with using these nasty chemicals, promoted to the hilt with adverts tuned to the feeble vibrations only their crippled minds can absorb.

Monsanto's, and other corporations like them, effect on American agriculture has been and will continue to be until it has stopped, devastating, and their sights are on a global marketplace for their products and sleazy at best agricultural practices. It makes my skin crawl to think of the damage done to the best soils in the USA and.
The Black Earth area in Ukraine and Russia and farmland in Africa, Indonesia, Vietnam, Argentina and Brasil may well meet the same fate
if they haven't already.

In some cases it is corporations dominated and run by mbas and lawyers while ceo's and favored underlings languish in posh resorts as the work of the original owners, the corporate founders, is run into the ground through mismanagement then bankruptcy while employees are cut adrift to fend for themselves. When you look at that mindset in the context of trying to organize and preserve grassroots local-oriented farming, environmental stewardship and the dissemination and use of permaculture in the USA it should give new incentive to all of us interested in making this happen no matter how long it takes.