permaculture - [permaculture] A small-scale farm report. Was: Large scale farming - sustainable? Profitable?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Michael Pilarski <friendsofthetrees@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] A small-scale farm report. Was: Large scale farming - sustainable? Profitable?
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 16:14:32 -0800 (PST)

Hi Lee,

A few comments on your question. “So my question is: what's your idea of a
permaculture site that is both sustainable in these terms, and profitable (at
least enough to make you a decent living)? How much land would you need, how
long would it take
to become sustainable/profitable”

Your questionnaire to fill out is
I would own ___ acres in a _______ climate, and I could make it
sustainable in ___ years and profitable in ___ years.  I would do this
by planting ___ the first year(s) then moving on to ____.  I would use
______ equipment and/or hire _____ manual laborers for ____ years and
then reduce and/or increase to ___ over ___ years.

Your question has too many variables to make blanket formulas.  We could also
debate endlessly about the true costs of industrial inputs.

But since I have done my own systems and make a lot of my living from my
little farm, I am in a position to give you some feedback from my own system.

I would steward 2 acres in my north-central Washington climate. With my
management systems that is about all I would want to handle personally.  My
multi-story, medicinal and food agroforestry systems are designed to go for
50 years plus.  I would guess that sustainability would arrive somewhere
relatively early in the game.  I get profitability from year two onwards.

Typically I start out with between one half and one acre of land in year one
and expand to two acres over the course of three years. I rent a small field
tractor to do soil tillage in year one of a plot. In year two approximately
half of the area is tilled again (the rest is in perennials) in yeaar 3 and
thereafter it is all done with hand tools since most of it is now in
perennials and there is no room to get a tractor into the system.  A
walk-behind rototiller can be used in subsequent years to save labor, but
these days I just stick with hand tools, once the system is well established.

I hire very little manual labor and have some interns but typically operate
with 80% of the labor being done by myself.

After year three it takes less effort to manage the system (initial
establishment is the most time and resource consuming part of the equation),
so in year four I can either expand the initial planting, take more time off,
or finance extra workers to intensify the harvests.

With a decent soil base and water, and in most climates I would estimate that
2 acres could support a modest permaculture lifestyle for one or two
families.

A few thoughts,

Michael Pilarski