permaculture - [permaculture] Vashon Island, WA PDC info for the calendar

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: maria morehead <spiralmother@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Vashon Island, WA PDC info for the calendar
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 13:46:51 -0800

Vashon Permaculture Design Certification (PDC) Course

*Dates*
6 Weekends: April 3/4, 10/11, 24/25, May 15/16, 22/23 & June 5/6
Daily hours: 10am-5pm

*Instructors:*
Emet Degirmenci, Kelda Miller

*Guest speakers:*
Michael Pilarski, Larry Korn, Jenny Pell, Deston Denniston, Mark Musick,
Marisha Auerbach & Dan Bentler + some Vashon experts.

The course uses a variety of educational venues and formats- including
lectures, discussions, demonstrations, team design work, hands-on
activities, presentations by permaculture experts, and tours of local
gardens/farms.

*The curriculum* demonstrates how human beings integrate ethically,
holistically, and dynamically into natural ecosystems which are continuously
evolving. Some of these topics include:

* permaculture philosophy, ethics, principles
* reading the landscape & recognizing patterns
* catching, storing, and using rainwater & graywater
* bioremediation & soil building
* healthy home, natural building & retrofitting
* disaster preparedness
* how to integrate small and big animals
* renewable energy & appropriate technologies
* climate justice, transportation and sustainability
* local food production & food sovereignty
* sustainable local economics
* inclusiveness, social sustainability, community building & dealing with
conflicts
* rural & urban applications of permaculture

Also, we encourage you to join us for a trip to Portland’s Village Building
Convergence at the end of May. This date is not included in the course but
is optional. The Convergence has many hands-on projects that will help you
to apply the concepts that you are learning.

*Venue:*
Vashon Cohousing, 10421 SW Bank Rd #20 Vashon, WA 98070
(http://www.vashoncohousing.org/) which is located next to an organic
collective farm. At this venue we have an opportunity to implement projects
in a community environment.

*Tuition/Participants:*
$ 800 covers tuition for the full course, course manual & DVD, lunch, site
visits, and afternoon teas.

Although we are giving first priority to people who will complete the whole
course, we are open to arrangements for families members/partners/friends to
attend when the primary participant can not. We will ask that they review
previous subjects prior to coming to class. But these people can not gain a
certificate at this time. However when we offer the course next year, they
may complete the requirements. Or just enjoy implementing what they have
leaned at their own project.

In order to get a Permaculture Design Certificate, we expect students to
arrive on time and participate in class, make up any class time that they
miss (perhaps by being tutored by a friend who attends), do readings and
homework, and complete a final permaculture design project.

Cancellations up to 2 weeks before the course begins will be refunded,
excluding a $100 processing fee. No refunds are given after that date.

*Registration ends March 20, 2010.*

More info:
Resources such as preparation tips, lodging info, teacher bios, curriculum
outline, and refund policy are available on request.

Registration/Contact: (206)463-0729 or email: koru.ora (@) gmail.com

Also visit us for a downloadable flyer and other info at www.koruora.com

--
"Love is never a relationship; love is relating. It is always a river,
flowing, unending. Love knows no full stop; the honeymoon begins but never

“If one went to the extreme of giving the patient the full details of
mortality and morbidity related to cesarean section, most of them would get
up and go out and have their baby under a tree…”
-Neel, J. Medicolegal pressure, MDs’ lack of patience cited in cesarean
‘epidemic.’ Ob.Gyn. News Vol 22 No 10

Supporting vibrant health in my community by providing education, nutrition,
herbal connection and ritual through grateful interaction with Gaia.

--
"Love is never a relationship; love is relating. It is always a river,
flowing, unending. Love knows no full stop; the honeymoon begins but never
ends. It is not like a novel that starts at a certain point and ends at a
certain point. It is an ongoing phenomenon. Lovers end, love continues– it
is a continuum. It is a verb, not a noun." Osho

“If one went to the extreme of giving the patient the full details of
mortality and morbidity related to cesarean section, most of them would get
up and go out and have their baby under a tree…”
-Neel, J. Medicolegal pressure, MDs’ lack of patience cited in cesarean
‘epidemic.’ Ob.Gyn. News Vol 22 No 10

Supporting vibrant health in my community by providing education, nutrition,
herbal connection and ritual through grateful interaction with Gaia.

  • [permaculture] Vashon Island, WA PDC info for the calendar, maria morehead, 12/19/2009