permaculture - Re: [permaculture] John Ross permaculture post

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Tripp Tibbetts <slowfoodguy@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] John Ross permaculture post
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 09:47:57 -0800 (PST)

In my intro ecology course at Florida we had an ecosystem simulation program
that allowed the user to design the species composition, fire frequency and
intensity, etc.  It would then run an accelerated succession sequence, and
the user could watch the system evolve, burn, grow and decay.  The ultimate
goal of the "game" was to design a stable system that wasn't over-run by any
particular species, or burned up by fire.  The longer you could get the
system to survive in dynamic equilibrium the better.  Even this rudimentary
version of what you're discussing was pretty exciting to watch!  And compete
with!  Much more fun than Farmville.  I'm always inviting my friends who play
that crap over to help me garden.  Invariably denied.  Maybe I should design
a helmet that would enclose the view within a PC screen and lash a mouse to
their hand.  I could even pretend to do their bidding...for a bit.  But I
think they'd be disappointed to find out
that raspberries take a bit longer than 3 hours from planting to harvest...

I might be able to get my hands on that simulation program if someone wanted
to use it as a construct.

Tripp

-Chinese proverb