permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Lupines and their uses.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Lupines and their uses.
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 02:49:17 -0800 (PST)

Richard,

I grew 3 small test plots of soya (about 100 m2) which I irrigated. We can
get night frost up to about mid-February. I broadcast the seeds in April/May
into land I had converted from grass land by mulching 2 years previously. The
first didn't germinate, the second was too closely spaced, but in the third
plot the plants grew well. I thought that water might be a problem, but since
the plants grew well, at least in the third plot, I think it probably has to
do with bacteria. I will try again next year with better soil.

The white edible lupines (lupinus albus) are called tremocos, the yellow
lupines (lupinus luteus L) are called tremocilhas in Portuguese.

Dieter