permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Lupines and their uses.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Lupines and their uses.
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 08:36:37 -0500

Dieter Brand wrote:

> Our environment can be extremely harsh, especially during the dry season. Perhaps this leads animals (ants, birds, etc.) to adopt extreme strategies just to survive.
>
> I think the idea of perennial-annual companion planting is something worth investigating. The beneficial effects some plants have on each other are well known, even though I think the N-fixing bacteria are already in the ground (if we grow traditional crops for our region) and multiply as needed when the crop grows.
>
> Annual cover crops and green mulches have their limitations in dry regions where all humidity needs to go to the cash crop. I usually encourage growth (cover crops, weeds, grasses, etc.) during the wet season and cut it all for mulching at the start of the dry season to conserve soil humidity.
>
> Lupines are good for fixing N, but I think for improving tilth you may be better off with annual grasses or grains because they produce more biomass. Rye is especially good because it forms a big root system. You can also mix legumes with grasses or grains. For example rye with vetch is a good combination.

Great to hear back from you Dieter. What region in Portugal are you in?
Are you a fan of Fados? Wow, Amalia Rodriguez, Maritza & other greats...
lots of YouTube music videos of them. The language is beautiful; I assume you speak Portuguese. That and Italian and French, of course are the most beautiful, especially if you like opera, though I like German also. Ah, English, take it or leave it ..., its best for farmers :-)

I wonder about N fixing bacteria and whether some need replishing
because of harsh weather conditions, conventional farming methods
and chemical fertilizer, etc. Here, it used to be that when you bought been seed for summer plantings they gave you a little plastic bag with
black powder containing populations of the correct bacteria for that type of bean.

As for cutting wet season cover crops, do you leave them on the soil for mulch or remove them or plow them under?

I agree with you about grasses and grain and their ability to increase soil OM, especially winter rye. I have acres of winter rye now and it will become a real soil builder when I shallow till it under this coming Spring. It is amazing how it builds soil tilth, unlike anything else almost.

LL