permaculture - [permaculture] Thoughts on PDCs - the human component

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Michael Pilarski <friendsofthetrees@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Thoughts on PDCs - the human component
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 17:29:15 -0800 (PST)

Hi permaculture friends and co-workers,

Several more thoughts on permaculture design courses, PDC’s.

Granted that a person could get a deep and well-rounded understanding of
permaculture without ever having taken a PDC, through reading, experiential
learning, good thinking, and the possible addition of short pc workshops.

But, there is more to a PDC than educational facts.  Part of it is the group
experience which I believe deepens the learning by bouncing off of others.
Partially it is seeing/hearing/experiencing the instructors put things
together (interlace things) in a way that a book cannot.

One of the most common comments I have heard from people who have taken a PDC
course is that their first pdc changed their life.  Certainly that is the way
it was for me.  I came into my first course (1982) with 11 years of organic
farming experience, widely read (including all the permaculture books to
date), etc etc.  In spite of all that I was blown out of the water and my
life was changed forever.

This is not to say that people could have permaculture transformative
experiences without a PDC, but it definitely happens at a good course to a
significant amount of pdc students.  I certainly would not claim that it
happens to everyone (even at a good course, and less likely at a poor course).

I think it would be pretty difficult to become a grand master of permaculture
without going through numerous PDCs.  After my first 23 PDC’s I am looking
forward to learning at many more.

PS. There are many ways of taking a PDC these days including on-line,
distance and weekend courses.  For most people, I think that a two-week (or
longer) residential course will always have a bigger impact on their
comprehension and their group bonding.

Permaculture is more than information or mental design and analyzing.
Permaculture is also a warm-hearted, loving relationship with other
permaculturists. There is esprit de corps, which is defined by the Collins
English dictionary as “consciousness of and pride in belonging to a
particular group; the sense of shared purpose and fellowship”. Hard to get
that in that in the isolation of a distance learning course sitting in front
of a computer or a book.  Not impossible, but warm bodies in front of your
face are hard to beat.

Permacordially

Michael Pilarski