permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Peak Ownership (was Intellectual Property)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Tripp Tibbetts <slowfoodguy@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Peak Ownership (was Intellectual Property)
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 11:42:50 -0800 (PST)

I might also toss in the idea that the "more mature" folks in favor of
doggedly protecting intellectual property, may have books of their own on
their minds (or in the works).  And I'll continue to buy, read and loan every
one that I can, as long as I can.  They are more likely landowners as well -
potentially the next great wave of discussion for industrial culture.

But to add to Leo's argument, we might also consider the radical reduction in
economic scale that is underway.  I wonder just how much longer one will be
able to shop for permaculture books at Amazon, or have something rare shipped
from Powell's.  The idea of making any appreciable money in a village, or
even watershed, economy by selling a book, no matter how paradigm-bending, is
itself up for debate.  I already lament all the brilliant books I won't be
able to acquire a decade from now.

I understand Paul and Kathleen's POV, and I understand Evan's too.  I think
Leo's take on the situation is quite astute.  There must be something more to
this.

Would David Holmgren weigh in on the matter?

Respectfully,
Tripp

-Chinese proverb