permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Intellectual property

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Intellectual property
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 08:19:12 -0500

Ossi Kakko wrote:
Hi,

A PDF-copy of the manual might well be useful f.e. while traveling the
tribal population as the book itself is way too heavy to carry and
could easily be damaged as paper is not as durable for weather as palm
leaves are. However, my experience from eastern India is that people
who are fluent enough to read english and have access to land are rare
and people generally have no access to internet, especially if living
outside of monetary economy. I strongly doubt that posting a link for
.PDF-file in a website would automatically reach majority of the people
who have no access to the manual anyway.

But it would reach the majority of people who _can_ afford to purchase a hard copy of the book, Mollison's targeted customers, but might be tempted to or would definitely download their free copy if made easily accessable to them, while at the same time it is available as free PDF to low income people who would not own a copy otherwise, then again,
if they can access the Web with a computer why couldn't they just purchase a legitimate copy for themselves or for a group. Then there are also those who would _sell_ pirated copies.