permaculture - [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Where ARE the solutions?]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Where ARE the solutions?]
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 22:34:23 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [SANET-MG] Where ARE the solutions?
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 07:44:20 -0500
From: mensplace <mensplace@BELLSOUTH.NET>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Somehow, I think I got on this bus about 20 or more years ago and it doesn't
seem that any real resolves, or solutions have progressed. I well remember
GA. Hydroculture down Byron where there was a huge complex to grow
hydroponically. A fortune spent on the hydroponic concept of just water and
chemicals. Then I saw 300 and 400 acre sites out west with windrow systems
to convert the waste stream via turning and enzymes as has been adopted in
many a country. Greenpeace and the mega trash haulers really went after
that. On course, let us not forget the anaerobic system here in GA that went
bust, or was that boom. Now we hear of global warming and greenhouse gasses
as the methane pumps and mountain builders get ever bigger. Meanwhile
organic has become the word of the day, but when I grow my maters the root
knot nematodes just keep on eating them and now we are told of eColi and
MRSA outbreaks in the food stream a la FOOD USA. Meanwhile, pollution keeps
building, gasses keep pumping out, grocery prices keep going up, up, up and
people still go hungry while the economy falters. What I have yet to hear
are any broad scale answers, applications, or systems being implemented.
Incredible, with technology, communications, and knowledge as never before
in history that hunger, and pollution of the ground water, air, and soils
still exists while we peck at one another. Better that we identify solutions
and put THOSE into place today! Personally, I cannot help but believe that
the continual building of mountains of waste is a good thing even IF part of
the solution means the inclusion of soils, amendments, and the reclaiming of
the inevitable gasses. We spend billions upon billions on studies and yet
the Chattahoochee still receives constant poisoning as does Allatoona lake,
the mountains of waste keep growing, methane towers keep on burning, and
power smokestacks keep on pumping our poisons while towns and huge cities
pump out more waste every day. So, everyone has an opinion and snipes at
others ideas and suggestions. BUT, WHO profits and who pays? There are a
plethora of agencies, government departments, and private industries with
huge staffs, state universities, and industries making fortunes off of trash
and pollution, never mind agriculture, soil studies, food systems, machinery
and mega industrial processes.never mind government "funding".., but WHERE
are the real solutions? Could it be that there are no real incentives to
curtailing "the system". If we truly wanted solutions, we would have
them.but, aye, there's the rub!