permaculture - [permaculture] Ecological Design as Spiritual Practice: Advanced Permaculture Design with Dave Jacke, Michael Judd and team / OCTOBER 16-25

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "A. Lo" <alicelo03@gmail.com>
  • To: fingerlakespermaculture@lists.mutualaid.org, permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, permaculture@openpermaculture.org, permaculturehudsonvalley@lists.riseup.net, northeasternpermaculture@lists.riseup.net, westernmapermacultureguild@lists.thepine.org, permaculture-61@meetup.com, penn-permaculture-list@meetup.com
  • Subject: [permaculture] Ecological Design as Spiritual Practice: Advanced Permaculture Design with Dave Jacke, Michael Judd and team / OCTOBER 16-25
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 12:57:50 -0400

*Remaking Eden: Ecological Design as Spiritual Practice
An Advanced Permaculture Design Course with Dave Jacke & Michael Judd
at Sivananda Ashram Yoga Ranch, Woodbourne, NY*

*OCTOBER 16-25, 2009 *

*Highlights*

• 8 Days of intensive ecological design and yoga practice

• Learn and apply a professional design process start-to-finish, on
small mentored teams

• World-recognized instruction in classical yoga and meditation in a unique
ashram setting

• 77-acre site and community dedicated to wholistic design and
implementation

Course Description

The belief that humans are separate from nature prevents people from
designing whole systems that simultaneously meet human needs and regenerate
healthy ecosystems. Both permaculture design and Yoga and Vedanta
philosophy posit that humanity and nature are one. In this eight-day
advanced permaculture design course, students will explore and experience
first-hand the connection and unity between humans and nature through
intensive ecological design training, immersion in ashram life and yoga
practice, and personal and group reflection.

Along with course staff, participants will form a large-scale
paraprofessional design team “hired” by Sivananda Ashram Yoga Ranch to
resolve key design challenges and create a Schematic Master Plan for the
ranch’s 77-acre campus and resident community. Depending on student
interests, backgrounds and experience, each participant will focus on one of
four key “design streams” relating to the whole design: water supply and
waste water treatment systems; food production, processing, storage, and
distribution systems; buildings and energy systems; or social and economic
structures. Each stream will take on design problems of moderate to high
complexity in a mentored group-learning environment and all teams will
present and dialogue with each other throughout the course as work
progresses. As a collective, we will synthesize these streams into a unified
Master Plan and present to a larger public audience by course end.

Immersion in the regular ashram program forms an integral part of the
course, including morning (6 AM) and evening meditation, kirtan (chanting),
asana practice and community service. Participation in the daily schedule,
which is fundamental to the ashram mission, is not only an opportunity
to develop
or strengthen a personal spiritual practice, but also a direct approach to
understanding the unique client and setting. You are invited to actively
participate in the yoga and meditation at a level comfortable to you, but at
the very least as an observer and an engaged and curious designer.
Throughout the course, the design team (all of us) will relate our
experiences with meditation and yoga and/or other personal spiritual
practices to our work as designers, students, and teachers – and vice versa.
We will ask each other: How can the practice of ecological design teach us
who we really are and how to act in relation to nature and spirit? How does
spiritual practice inform how we design?

Join us as we explore and weave together questions and answers from the
inner and outer landscapes. Open to graduates of permaculture design
certificate courses and others by application. No prior experience with yoga
is necessary. *$600 plus accommodations.*

*Course Prerequisites*

• Completion of at least one basic certified permaculture design course.

• Ideally, one to two years of practical and/or design experience in
permaculture-related, ecological design work of some kind.

• *If you do not have one or both of the above*, please fill out an
Application Form to be reviewed by course instructors. We encourage new and
non-permaculture course graduates to apply—experience is useful, but
enthusiasm, commitment, and integrity contribute a ton!

• No prior yoga experience is required, but an open and inquiring mind and
heart will serve each of us, all of us, and our design clients best.

*For more information or to begin the application/registration process: *

Contact Alice Lo (Green Phoenix Permaculture) at
permaculture@sivananda.orgor 631-365-4135.

  • [permaculture] Ecological Design as Spiritual Practice: Advanced Permaculture Design with Dave Jacke, Michael Judd and team / OCTOBER 16-25, A. Lo, 09/10/2009