permaculture - Re: [permaculture] concerns about the way most people raise chickens

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jacque Greenleaf <jacque@book-woman.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] concerns about the way most people raise chickens
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 15:35:14 -0700

Hi Paul, your article is shaping up nicely.

I've only had one season of raising chickens, in an ad hoc coop/run/ free range situation, and I've come to the same conclusion you have. They need protection because we put energy into them for our own purposes, and we expect to get a return on that energy. (The single most important thing I've heard a permaculturist say is that it is all about closing your energy loops.) But allowing them to be filthy and/ or crowded is counterproductive and inhumane. I am at a loss as to why the people who disagree with you are so vehement about it. It's not as if there is only one decent way to raise chickens, and your experience is your experience, how can it be erroneous? Clearly, if you are keeping two laying hens on an apartment balcony, you are not going to use any of Joel Salatin's methods no matter how much they appeal to you.

I hope you will eventually include some specific forage species recommendations. If you know anything about forage species that will maximize omega-3 in the eggs, I'd love to hear that. And is there a difference between winter and summer foraging that will come into play in managing a paddock system?

Again, thanks for writing this and allowing us to participate.

"Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction....The chain reaction of evil -- hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars -- must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation." -- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-1968)