permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Rainwater harvesting pond story

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Suraj Kumar <suraj@sunson.in>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Rainwater harvesting pond story
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 11:07:52 +0530

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 7:23 PM, <steveread@free.fr> wrote:

> A question that crops up frequently is the liner, clay or tarp being
> pierced by
> the roots of trees growing nearby, its not happened to me yet..... Anyone
> else
> got some input?

If its clay and if you've got enough fish, I guess the fish (while hiding
eggs) will eventually end up respraying colloidal clay onto the roots. It
will be self-stabilizing, naturally.

I'm an opponent of using finite fossil fuel based long term solutions in
general simply because its not sustainable.

I would never call using a plastic based liner as a permaculture method
ever. Though it is much better use of petroleum than burning it up, it is
also ultimately dependent on a finite resource. Its a "technical debt"
you'll leave to your children, essentially. Think about how they'll repair
your broken liner in a time when diesel powered machinery might be insanely
expensive and it might even need one's own hands to help. Think about health
hazards due to plastic.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

-Suraj

--
"The Greatest Shortcoming of the Human Race is
our Inability to Understand the Exponential Function"