permaculture - [permaculture] batteries vs grid-tie

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] batteries vs grid-tie
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 10:24:15 -0700 (PDT)

In general, I've decided that if you can easily connect your energy system to
the grid and avoid batteries, that's the way to go.  Batteries have a high
embedded energy, though they are recycled.  If lithium batteries ever become
affordable for home systems, that would be a big improvement.  However, the
grid has the potential to even out the supply and demand of energy, making
renewables more viable.

On the other hand, your system is very small (a little smaller than mine),
and the cost of the equipment required to hook up to the grid may not be
worth it in your climate.

As for your fridge (I also have a small Nova-Kool), the hot temperatures must
consume a lot of the energy that your panels produce (mine uses about 240
watt hours/day).  You might want to install a low voltage disconnect to
protect your batteries.  Bringing the batteries indoors would extend their
life and increase their capacity, as well.

I hope this helps,

Rain