permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Lincoln quote?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: bmn@iglou.com
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Lincoln quote?
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 11:34:19 -0400

Jay Woods wrote:

I'm giving a presentation about relocalizaton of our food production at a
sustainability fair next weekend and would like to quote what Lincoln
said about the best thing being having a small plot of land and living
from it. Something like that. I hope someone here can share the
wording with me. If you know the context of what speech or whatever
it's from, that'd be great, too.

Abraham Lincoln once said that the greatest art of the future would be making the most of a small plot of land.

I'm always looking for quotes of this nature. I use the following Thomas Jefferson quote on my fledgling (read always under construction) persimmon site (http://www.persimmonpudding.com/cultivation.html):

"I have often thought that if heaven had given me choice of my position and calling, it should have been on a rich spot of earth, well watered, and near a good market for the productions of the garden. No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth, and no culture comparable to that of the garden. Such a variety of subjects, some one always coming to perfection, the failure of one thing repaired by the success of another, and instead of one harvest a continued one through the year." --- Thomas Jefferson (August 20, 1811, to Charles W. Peale)