permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Lincoln quote?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kathyann <knat@sprintmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Lincoln quote?
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 08:58:03 -0400

SArjuna@aol.com wrote:
>> I'm giving a presentation about relocalizaton of our food production at a
>> sustainability fair next weekend and would like to quote what Lincoln said
>> about the best thing being having a small plot of land and living from it.
>> Something like that. I hope someone here can share the wording with
>> me. If you know the context of what speech or whatever it's from,
>> that'd be great, too.
>>

> I intend to keep coming back to the idea of our becoming a nation of
> farmers.
>
> Thanks,
> Shivani in WI

Good luck with your presentation. I find people are getting more
knowledgeable about impact with the more frequent discussion of biofuels
in the commercial news. Talking about local foods, I like to push it
where I can. The attached chart baits/seeds an audience well. It's miles
per acre/acres per mile projection of 5000 mile food source vs 100 mile
food source.
A fun tack for "nation of farmers" is historical progression. The actual
size of farms grew exponentially with addition of chemicals and
corporate structure because the chemicals required remote acreage for
mining, manufacturing, transport and the financing of the larger scale
equipment. Even today, the major corporations which seem unrelated, have
back investments to support their stock value in food/farming. So most
people you are speaking to can already trace their employment to
farming. It's just a lot of us farmers don't get dirty any more. ('cept
those of us who like our joy direct.)

Peace,
Kathyann