permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Sepp Holzer root cellar / animal shelter

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: paul wheaton <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Sepp Holzer root cellar / animal shelter
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 08:00:52 -0700

Have you built one?

I was really excited about earthships about 20 years ago. I was really
chomping at the bit to build one. And then I met some folks that had some
experience with them.

I think the overall design is damn smart. Dreamy even. And the books are
sooooo great. I especially like the part where a spring pops up behind one
of the walls and they work with it - make it a water feature in their living
room!

A few months ago we had Mike Oehler as a guest at permies.com. He's the
author of "The $50 and up Underground House Book". And he chimed in about
earthships here:

http://www.permies.com/permaculture-forums/1140_0/alternative-building/earth-ship

When comparing one of Sepp's shelters to an earthship, I think one really
important things to factor in is time. My understanding is that an
earthship is exceptionally labor intensive. Sepp says that he typically
builds one of his shelters in a day.