permaculture - Re: [permaculture] After the Fires

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bela Beke <beke@primus.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] After the Fires
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 17:42:36 +1100

Thank you for taking the time to write ,Christopher.
Regards,Bela Beke

christopher nesbitt wrote:
Hi Bela,

I lost 50 acres of habitat to a neighbors our of control fire. You can read about it here: http://www.mmrfbz.org/Fire.html As a result of my neighbors fire, I have spent much of the last year dealing with the consequences of fire, instead of focusing on things I would like to work on.

Hills can slump after loss of roots. You will have dead roots offering temporary support to the soil, so you will have a windiw in which to plant out more trees to replace the ones that were killed.

Not knowing the particulars of your area, and knowing it is most likely different than here, I would suggest considering deep rooted plants very quickly. We used vetiver on contour (about three acres of 50 burned), and planted a LOT of trees through the balance, fast growing timber and tree legumes, some fruit. We have one hill I am very worried about.

Good luck!

Christopher