permaculture - Re: [permaculture] food forest productivity

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lbsaltzman@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] food forest productivity
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 00:10:11 -0400

It is Leucaena. I probably typed it wrong rushing out the e-mail late at
night. I will do my best to answer your questions tomorrow, but there are far
more knowledgeable people than me, and my knowledge is based on working in a
Mediterranean climate Zone.? Anything Geoff Lawton has to say is pure gold in
my humble opinion, I loved his new documentary on food forests.? There are
lots of ways to capture water swales, berms, dams, keyline plowing etc. The
specifics of your land dictate the methods that are best. My wife and I
worked on a small scale.? We used terraces and micro-swales, along with
planting trees in basins. We also mulch heavily and do a lot of chop and
drop.?

Every source you mentioned for books are good.? I can't imagine not having
Mollison's manual.? Obviously, nitrogen fixers are critically important. We
have leucaena, locust, ceanosis, and have also used a variety of annual
nitrogen fixers like clover vetch, fava beans and others. Beyond that you
need advice from more experienced people than me who have experience in the
regions you described.? The general principles work, but the range of plants
will be radically different.?

Larry