permaculture - Re: [permaculture] After the Fires

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] After the Fires
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 13:39:04 -0400

One of the best starting points is on pages 451-456 in Mollison's Designers' Manual.

Hills can slump after a fire but usually rain is needed to initiate it. Bare soils on steep slopes can make rain a curse even while it's a much needed blessing.

Bela Beke wrote:
Hi,
We live in a recently fire effected are of Australia.
We are looking for advice, guidance, on how to deal with landscapes effected by wild fire.
Even to know the questions to ask and suggestions to make to authorities-(who may or may not taken these things into consideration.)
Some areas were at least 660(degrees Celsius)The aluminium roadsigns melted.
Another concern is that some fire affected areas are quite steep and may be subject to collapse
Worst case scenario-Can side's of hills slide down?On to roadways?
Not being experienced Permaculture designer's we are open to advice to how to work with large areas almost
totaly burned out by wery hot fires.
Links to literature,books ,practical advice(disaster recovery,green(brown) field development )
on behalf of Permaculture Kinglake Ranges
regards,Bela Beke
beke<at>primus.com.au
--

Keith Johnson