permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Philosophy of Science

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Brent Neal <brentn@freeshell.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Philosophy of Science
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 22:17:23 -0400

On 30 Oct, 2008, at 17:10, jason brown wrote:
1) any references that come to mind on forestry, holism, mechanistic science, general philosophy of science...

Hi Jason,

If you want to critique scientific thought, you should probably read up on the basic epistemologies thereof. I think what is most relevant to modern science is the critique of logical positivism, which mainly occurred in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Of the most cogent critiques of logical positivism, the best are from Karl Popper. I recommend _The Logic of Scientific Discovery_ as a place to start there. You should probably also read Thomas Kuhn's _The Structure of Scientific Revolutions_ - not a book on the philosophy of science, but rather, a history thereof, it nonetheless contains useful viewpoints on the difference between 'philosophically pure' science and 'science as it is actually practiced.'

Hope this helps!

Brent

--
Brent Neal, Ph.D.