permaculture - [permaculture] Philosophy of Science

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jason brown <jasonbrown644@hotmail.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Philosophy of Science
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 14:10:16 -0700

Hello, my name is Jason Brown. I did my Perma cert this summer with Scott
Pittman in NM. (HI SCOTT!)

I am currently doing a masters degree in forestry. While the material is
amazing and I am learning a lot. There has been a consistant mechanistic
world view expressed and assumed. I am working on a paper analysis for the
class and would like to include a critique of the mechanistic world view.

1) any references that come to mind on forestry, holism, mechanistic science,
general philosophy of science...

2) What are your thoughts one the convergence of western science and other
world views. Clearly permaculture uses plenty of the things we have learned
from science, but is critical of its rigid institutions and assumptions...

thanks!

Jason b