permaculture - Re: [permaculture] llamas cold weather

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: ed sarten <esarten@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] llamas cold weather
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 14:14:55 -0700 (PDT)

Thankyou for the information,There are a few llamas south of here but not
north.I,m always trying to find things that might adapt to our climate.I do
manage to get chickens & ducks through the winter with light bulbs in their
coop.Goats,bison and yaks make it with little shelter.I have seen scottish
highlander cattle make it with a regular barn.Some how they raised horses
here for the gold rush around the turn of the last century, nobody has seen a
horse in this village in over 60 years though,I find old horseshoes all the
time.New interest in small agriculture is happening up here due to the fact
that food comes from thousands of miles away and we do have the highest food
prices in the western hemisphere.If it were not for hunting,fishing
etc.people could not survive and all of rural Alaska Is shrinking in
population as we speak paying up to 9 dollars a gallon for gas.We use gas now
to hunt& fish.