permaculture - Re: [permaculture] yellow jackets

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul d'Aoust <paul@heliosville.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] yellow jackets
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:30:16 -0700

After having read the other responses, it appears that there are two
different types of wasp with the name 'yellowjacket' -- the ones we have
build nests on the ceiling or roof overhang of your shed or porch, out
of paper and mud. They're very territorial, and sometimes all you need
is a decoy nest -- they're these gray cloth things, kinda like Japanese
lanterns, that hang from your ceiling. The wasps will look at the 'nest'
and leave. I hear they work quite well.

Paul