permaculture - Re: [permaculture] yellow jackets

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Mathew Waehner" <waehner@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] yellow jackets
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 14:41:52 -0400

Yellowjackets are a predator of other insects and a benefit to the garden,
unless they locate their home where you or others can't avoid it. If winter
is coming to your area soon, just let them be- they don't overwinter.

I've read that if you put a cake lid, or other transparent dome over the
nest, they will not understand the need to dig their way out and they will
keep bumping against the dome for weeks until they starve.

I've used alcohol to poison them- pour a bottle down and seal off the tunnel
entrance. Isopropyl is cheap, but ethanol is probably easier for the soil
organisms to metabolize. I've had mixed luck with this technique, but last
time I tried I added a lit match and it worked like a charm.

Whatever you do, it is safest to approach at night.