permaculture - Re: [permaculture] yellow jackets

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Linda Shewan <linda.shewan@bryn.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] yellow jackets
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 16:42:01 +1100

We had a sideways entrance to the nest and couldn't get any substance in
there so tried putting thick clear plastic over the entrance - they just ate
their way through multiple layers of it and dug another entrance quite away
further along the retaining wall so I would not think they are so stupid as
to starve...

But in the end we let them be and lived with them flying through me every
time I hung the washing. Asked them to watch out for me and appears they did
as none of the family ever got stung. Next year they left as they only stay
in a nest for one season.

Next time I will just leave them be unless they are in a particularly
dangerous spot.

Cheers, Linda