permaculture - Re: [permaculture] distilled water

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Scott Pittman" <scott@permaculture.org>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] distilled water
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 20:11:29 -0600

Studies have shown that there is a higher incidence of heart attacks with
acidic water - the calcium raises the pH of the rain water to acceptable
alkalinity. Better to suspend the sea shells in muslin or other porous bag
to get better circulation. Plus the biomat that forms on the bottom of your
tank could cover the shells, making them less effective.

Scott Pittman
Director
Permaculture Institute
www.permaculture.org

snip--
Old timers in East Texas told me to put clam shells/oyster/other
seashelss to the bottm of my rain water collection barrels to add minerals
and calcium back into the rain water I collected  ..."keeps you healthy that
way" I was told.