permaculture - [permaculture] Pre-design for collapse

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Robert Waldrop" <bwaldrop@cox.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Pre-design for collapse
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 10:40:38 -0500

On Saturday we had the first session of a series of workshops that looked at what options we have here in central Oklahoma if there is a sudden collapse of the financial system as well as the food and energy production systems.

26 people showed up, and we had an interesting day examining the issues, challenges, resources, and mitigation/risk reduction strategies.

We have other sessions planned and in between we will be doing some writing on a contingency plan which we intend to distribute widely in the local area.

I was wondering if anyone else has done/is doing this kind of "pre-design for catastrophe-response"?

NB: This workshop was scheduled months ago, but the events of the last week lent a certain urgency to the discussion.

Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City
www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org

PS. I like the idea of teaching songs, here is my latest effort:

Tune: "Santa Claus is Coming to Town". . .

OH! We better not wait, it's time to make plans,
Compost, mulch, put away the fans,
Winter time is coming to town!

Squash and turnips and carrot plants,
Season extension for the cabbage transplants,
Winter time is coming to town!

Let's insulate the attic!
Insulate the floors!
Insulate the walls so deep,
and don't forget the doors!

So! Make your list, and check it twice,
Solarize, weatherize, don't roll the dice,
Winter time is coming to town!