permaculture - Re: [permaculture] composting people

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Dick Pierce" <dickpiercedesigns@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] composting people
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 08:08:37 -0500

I believe the concept of human composting is referred to in the trade as
"Natural Burial" an there is a kindly and somewhat informative website at
http://www.naturalburial.coop. I browsed it briefly and noted 2 sites in ME.
These still retain the cemetary concept; I didn't read far enough to see if
there were services that would bury a person on their property - hill-top,
orchard, etc.,. The later is my wish - I'd like apples or corn to grow or
feed grass-fed beef or chickens with my remains - or have the Lions come and
lay down on my grave as with Robert Finch-Hadden in "Out of Africa".

The above is slightly more acceptable to my family than the alternative
available here - a farmer friend with a large, wind-row compost area just
adds a dead cow/sheep to the wind-row, covers it with 8-10' of leaves/wood
chips and "compost happens." Either method is acceptable to me. - Ashes to
ashes, dust to dust, soil to soil.

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 3:05 AM, <yarrow@sfo.com> wrote:

> At 4:50 PM -0400 5/26/08, trevor william johnson wrote:
> >also in jenkins humanure handbook he says that we have been using
> >composting to turn dead animals into compost. he does not say
> >anything about composting humans though. i imagine the process is
> >the same. does anyone out there know anything of this practice? i ...
>
> Green burials? I've heard of several around the world, AFAIK without
> the embalming and concrete vaults and decorator coffins, where the
> land is managed as a nature preserve.
>
> As for composting people specifically, several years ago I heard
> someone from North Carolina on the radio talking about composting
> people. I don't recall his name (or where he got his research
> subjects).
> Google command to search archives:

DickPierceDesigns@gmail.com
Austin, TX
cell- 512-992-8858

Permaculture is in full-force for Summer/Fall in Austin and New England.
Just look here:

-Permaculture Basics Weekend May
17-18 - Jenny and Kirby - Austin
-Greenfield, NH - 9-day Permaculture