permaculture - Re: [permaculture] conservatism/food/references requested

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] conservatism/food/references requested
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:57:05 -0500

John & Maia O'Brien wrote:

Thanks for that, Toby. I would like to see the references.
Do any come from Cuba's "special period" experience?
BTW, I understand that after their initial "forced" introduction to
non-petroleum-based agriculture, at this time they "only" grow ~80% of their
food organically. They have supposedly also developed a reciprocal
arrangement with Venezuela to supply their petrol, and they export "brains."
(with 2% of the population of South America, they now have 11% of the
trained scientists, including I would assume medical professionals).

Cuba also provides trained nurses and perhaps other medical personnel
to "at-risk", banished, etc. peoples around the world, for example in
a North African country. An ethnic group was forced out of a region in
a city on the coastal region of a north african country to live in
a harsh, desolate, barren desert region to fend for themselves.
Cuba provided them with a nurse.

This is why I think it is so important for the USA to maintain a hands-off
policy for Cuba while hopefully allowing travel, trade and critical exchange
of basic
necessities and services.