permaculture - [permaculture] Seed Savers Exchange, What should be done- My opinion.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: LINDARAY@att.net
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Seed Savers Exchange, What should be done- My opinion.
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 21:21:10 +0000

Too paranoid? No Jody, I think you've got the gist of it.

Also, Johnny's Selected Seeds is toast with me from now on.

This disgusting event will also spur more folks, I hope, to grow out and save
their heirloom seeds and pass them around to gardening neighbors.

I remember reading recently of a seed storage facility being built in
Antarctica by the bureaucracies, the article speculated on whether there were
a known event on the way. I wonder if that is tied in somehow with this
takeover of SSE.

At the time I read the article, my first thoughts were "They know the GMO
stuff is going to get out of hand, or something else is going to happen. Or
else someone is looking to find new genomes to patent.."

But that's a separate discussion.

I think we should all get to work to dissolve this takeover of SSE, and see
to it that the dissolution happens so that the Exchange is returned to the
care of those who love it.

My opinion of what to do next, however, differs from Kent Whealy. With all
due respect to Kent, IMO ALL incoming donors should be contacted with Kent's
letter so they can see what's going on, and hopefully many donations would be
halted until these squatters are out of the company for good.

It was pretty clear that the newcomers plan to blind Members about 'how much
came in' & 'where incoming funds are going'- That implies to me that funds
will be diverted from their intended purpose.

If I were Kent, I'd also hop over and set up a fund where incoming donations
consenting to be diverted away from the SSE takeover crew can be accessed as
needed to maintain the original purpose of SSE.

Even if it means setting up a climate-controlled shed in my own backyard.

If I were Everyman:
IMO my membership in the SSE should be immediately cancelled (With the reason
why clearly stated to the SSE) until Kent's recovery recommendations are met.

All pending donations should be immediately rescinded (And rerouted to Kent,
if he will do it) with the reason why clearly stated to the SSE.

Letters should be written all over the country, to Acres USA, Southern SAWG,
all the Agrags, newspapers and mags, and posted on every forum/bulletin
board/garden discussion messageboard we can find, telling them what has
happened, posting the link to Kent's letter.

Lastly, IMO the wellbeing of the Ancient White Parks needs to be secured
immediately by outside volunteer means if necessary (Calling upon the ASPCA
at any provocation, just to keep the newbies busy), since the newbies are
incompetent.

It might be better for the cattle if the rescinded donations could be put
into a fund at Kent Whealy's disposal for the care of the herds.

Also if those folks who normally send seeds to the SSE would divert all or
part of their delivery to Kent, instead of the SSE.

The above is my opinion- Anyone (or everyone's) opinion may differ from mine
and that is OK by me.

What happened to SSE and Kent looks wrong to me.

Stay well,
Linda